gluten-free / dairy free option
It is officially soup time!!!!! Ok…its been soup time for almost two months, but what can I say???? It’s been a bit crazy (ok, bat shit crazy) at my house and we just arrived to the party.
Fall is absolutely my favorite time of year. I love the feel of the crisp, clean air as I walk my daughter to school in the morning and I love going to pick apples and pumpkins at Barthel Fruit Farm with my family. But by far, my most favorite thing about fall is the food!!! I know, I know….. no surprise there as I am obviously a bit of a food junkie. Though. I feel like I would be hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t feel the same way. I mean, just think about it!!! Apples crisps, pumpkin pie squares, pumpkin bread, and soups coming at you from all sides. It is frickin’ glorious my friends!!!! But truthfully, there is nothing better than a hearty warm soup served with a nice crusty loaf of garlic bread. It warms your soul after a long day and is the perfect way to come together as a family. And pretty much anything I can make in one pot is a winner in my book.
This chicken meatball soup is an absolute staple in my house. The kids love anything that comes in the form of a meatball and is served with buttery toast. And I love that is healthy and creates a “no whining” environment at the table. Kid tip…I make sure to chop up the escarole a little smaller so that the meatball conveniently “covers” the escarole on the spoon! I serve this with a loaf of gluten-free garlic bread and dinner my friends is served. Enjoy!! nom nom
6 TBS plain gluten-free breadcrumbs
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan-reggiano cheese or Vegan parmesan cheese
4 TBS chopped fresh parsley or 2 TBS dried parsley
1 lb ground chicken
2 large eggs
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion; finely diced
3 small carrots; finely diced
2 celery stalks; fnely diced
1.5 qt of chicken broth
2 1/2 tsp salt; divided
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 sprig of rosemary
5 cups escarole, thinly sliced
- Put breadcrumbs in bowl, moisten with 1 TBS water. Mix in cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Add chicken and eggs and mix until just combined. Scoop out 1 TBS of meatball mixture and roll into golf ball sized meatballs. Set aside.
- Heat oil in 5 qt pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and 1 tsp salt; cook until tender 4-5 minutes. Add broth and rosemary. Bring to a boil.
- Gently add meatballs, reduce heat to medium low to maintain a gentle simmer, cook for 10 minutes
- Add escarole and continue to simmer until meatballs are cooked and escarole is wilted, about 5 additional minutes.
- Discard the rosemary and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with additional grated cheese if desired.