It is bowl time again my friends!!! And this time we are taking a Latin approach. This recipe is super simple albeit a little putsy with the marinade and dressing. But have no fear, I wrote down a few time-saving tips at the end to make this an easy option for weeknight meals. This has an earthy spice rather than a hot spice so it can work well for the kiddos too!! And if you want to make this vegetarian, it’s easy!! Just double up on the black beans or add in pinto beans for some variety! Add in some extra vegetables like sautéed corn and peppers and voila, a vegetarian bowl!!! This recipe is great the day after for lunch if you are so lucky to have leftovers!!! Enjoy! nom nom!!
gluten free / dairy free / grain free option / vegetarian option
Makes 2 bowls.
Sweet Potato Bowl
1 cup cooked organic brown rice or Cauliflower Rice
2/3-3/4 cup black beans
1 avocado; sliced
1 cup of sweet potato (approximately 1 large sweet potato); peeled and cubed
6-8 ounces of flank steak; marinated for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking
2 TBS roasted pumpkinseed kernels; usually found in bulk section
4 TBS. fresh cilantro, chopped
2 TBS. salsa verde
2 TBS neutral tasting oil, I like grapeseed or EVOO
1/4 cup orange juice, preferably fresh
2 TBS lime juice; preferably fresh
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 TBS cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp jalapeno, diced (optional)
1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS adobo sauce
2 TBS honey
1 TBS fresh lime juice
- For the marinade, combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Place meat in large ziploc bag and pour mixture into the bag. Make sure the bag is sealed and massage bag until the marinade has coated the steak evenly. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes though all day is preferrable to ensure the meat is tender!
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Once cooked, toss the rice with salsa verde and set aside
- Meanwhile, place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast until crisp with slightly dark edges, approximately 20-30 minutes
- Heat a large non stick skillet over medium-high heat and cook the steak to your desired doneness. For medium rare, cook on the first side for 8 minutes, flip and cook for an additional 6 minutes. Remove to plate and lest rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Slice against the grain 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- For the Honey Chipotle Dressing, whisk together all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once all the components are done you can assemble your bowl!!! Start with the rice as your base followed by the sweet potaoes, black beans, 3-4 ounces of sliced steak, sliced avocado and pumpkin seeds to finish
- Drizzle with Honey Chipotle dressing and enjoy!!!
Time Saving TIPS!!
- Prepare the marinade and dressing the night before. The steak can marinate overnight and just remove the dressing once you start dinner so it can come to room temperature
- Buy the sweet potaoes already cubed!! Either frozen and make sure to thaw them before baking or Trader Joe’s has cubed sweet potaoes in the refrigerated produce section
- You can also make the rice ahead of time! We eat alot of rice so we make a big batch on Sunday and use it throughout the week!